Re: [ontolog-forum] Compound nouns

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:49:35 -0400

Simon,

The linguistics presentation is interesting, but the issue I was addressing was confusing linguistics with ontology development.

The linguistic expectation is that “pineapple tree” refers to a kind of “tree” on which pineapple fruit grows, by following exactly the interpretation conventions you identify.  The presumption that the reference of “tree” in this compound is a plant is based on the observation that the specializer “pineapple” refers to a fruit.  That is, ideas 2 and 3 are used to select the interpretation of “tree” that is being specialized.  That assumption would not be made for “shoe tree” or “family tree” or “syntax tree”.  But it may be possible that someone’s term for the pineapple plant is “pineapple tree”, in yet another extension of the term “tree”.  For example, fruit growers use “tree” to refer to the woody plant on which the fruit grows, as distinct from the fruit itself, even when the plant is technically a shrub.  This is why it takes something like Watson’s massive knowledge base AND Bayesian reasoning to determine what is (probably) meant by natural language.

The whole idea in ontology development is that we sort all that out in the formal language.  In a formal ontology, all terms are Humpty Dumpty words:  They mean exactly what we say they mean, neither more nor less.

This leads to a related observation:  An ontology in which most of the terms are primitive (not formally defined) does not provide much of a foundation for inference.  In particular, most OWL models I see are information models, not ontologies.  They don’t DEFINE terms using both necessary and sufficient (iff) characteristics.  They specify only the necessary and possible characteristics of a type, as one does in ORM or UML.  And in at least two “professional examples”, the problem is a kind of illiteracy:  The modeler states that A is a subtype of B and C, when s/he means that A is the intersection of B and C.  Or similarly that A is a subtype of B and has property P, when what is meant is that a thing is an instance of A exactly when it is a B and has property P.

(From the point of view of socializing modeling, I am happy to see OWL used as an information modeling language by people who would otherwise draw Powerpoint diagrams or use XML Schema to capture their domain models.  But that only means we have finally rescued conceptual modeling from the captivity of database design and object programming.  As I have said before, the use of OWL (or UML or ORM) to capture conceptual models, as opposed to software designs, is a major step forward in knowledge engineering.  The problem we now face is not to confuse using OWL with capturing a real ontology in OWL.  Put another way, I think UML models written in Turtle or Manchester Syntax are good; calling them “ontologies” is not good.)

-Ed

--

Edward J. Barkmeyer                     Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx

Systems Integration Division

100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8265             Work:   +1 301-975-3528

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8265             Mobile: +1 240-672-5800

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."