Re: [ontolog-forum] Realist Ontology in Mainstream Media

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 03:05:28 -0500 (EST)

I'm standing at a computer at the Oslo airport, so I'll keep it short.

In the following paper, I discuss three levels of semantics:  lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight:  http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/futures.pdf .

We can also distinguish three levels of data: unstrucut:ured, semistructured, and highly structured.

That allows 9 combinations of data structuring and semantics applied to the data.

Much of the discussion on this forum has been at the level of highly structured data with heavyweight semantics.

A search engine typically uses lightweight semantics with unstructured data.

Siri uses middleweight semantics applied to semistructured data.

All these points require more clarification.  See the article for some.

John