Re: [ontolog-forum] Realist Ontology in Mainstream Media

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:11:33 -0500 (EST)

I'd like to point out the following excerpt from an  interview with Tom G.

John

Nova Spivack: What about the Semantic Web? Is Siri built with Semantic Web open-standards such as RDF and OWL, Sparql?

Tom Gruber: No, we connect to partners on the web using structured APIs, some of which do use the Semantic Web standards. A site that exposes RDF usually has an API that is easy to deal with, which makes our life easier. For instance, we use geonames.org as one of our geospatial information sources. It is a full-on Semantic Web endpoint, and that makes it easy to deal with. The more the API declares its data model, the more automated we can make our coupling to it.

Source:

http://www.novaspivack.com/technology/how-hisiri-works-interview-with-tom-gruber-cto-of-siri