Re: [ontolog-forum] Realist Ontology in Mainstream Media

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:57:21 -0800

From: <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, 27 January, 2013 12:05 AM
To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Realist Ontology in Mainstream Media

I'm standing at a computer at the Oslo airport, so I'll keep it short.

DN: Glad to hear you survived the great Norwegian Got Cheese fire tragedy that closed a tunnel (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21141244).  That has to be one of the strangest news headlines ever.

In the following paper, I discuss three levels of semantics:  lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight:  http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/futures.pdf .

We can also distinguish three levels of data: unstrucut:ured, semistructured, and highly structured.

DN: John, this is highly relevant to a project I am working on with a large US Government agency.  I would like to introduce some of your work to them.  Although the similarity exists, I have always hated the term "Semi Structured".  Structured is a boolean value IMHO.  There are several aspects to it such as determinism, syntax etc but the reality is that if a file has a structure, no matter how simplistic, it still is structured.  Of course this gets into the whole " is null a value" argument.

That allows 9 combinations of data structuring and semantics applied to the data.

Much of the discussion on this forum has been at the level of highly structured data with heavyweight semantics.

A search engine typically uses lightweight semantics with unstructured data.

DN: Which search engine are you discussing specifically?  You are correct.

The Kansas City Shuffle is in full effect here.  So many people are focused on the wrong areas of SEO WRT content parsing and declaration.  The fact is that major search engines do not case about RDF, OWL etc.

Very cool stuff.

Duane

Siri uses middleweight semantics applied to semistructured data.

All these points require more clarification.  See the article for some.

John