Re: [ontolog-forum] Webby objects

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:38:36 -0500
William -

On Nov 22, 2012, at 5:16 PM, William Frank wrote:

an ontology is a theory

Fair enough.

Ok... I'm <fulfilling some role in an organization, take your pick, high or low, managerial or technical >... how's the theory of ontology going to help me make my numbers THIS MONTH?

I would argue that *** IF *** ontology work products were as accessible as a spell checker then my personal work products would be more accurate & professional.

Plus, I get to train my ontology catcher one word at a time.

I would obviously advocate for a smarter spell checker that groks context (e.g. who I am, what project or task I'm working on, etc.).  The OntChecker (tm?) would obviously require a more rigorous administrative infrastructure under the covers.

Burying ontology information in Excel spreadsheets is clearly not a long term maintainable & accessible solution.  What happens to the spreadsheet with all its invisible rules, is abandoned by the original author?  Specs anyone?

- David