Re: [ontolog-forum] Webby objects

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:59:01 +0100

Hello Pat,    (01)

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 02:20:50PM -0800, Pat Hayes wrote:
> I wish this were true. Unfortunately, there are many users who either ask
> for, or worse simply *presume* decideability. So that if you give them a
> system which sometimes says "no answer", they will simply take this as the
> answer, "no". Which is one of Ian's arguments: whatever you give users,
> they will treat it as an oracle.    (02)

Sounds like those users would also have a problem with "not deriveable", which
should also be a possible answer of decideable systems ?    (03)

I am confused by the Wikipedia article about OWL:    (04)

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Ontology_Language#OWL_DL    (05)

It says that "OWL DL was designed to provide the maximum expressiveness
possible while retaining computational completeness (either phi or not phi
belong), decidability (there is an effective procedure to determine whether
phi is derivable or not)".    (06)

The statement about computational completeness of OWL DL is wrong, isn't it ?    (07)

OWL Full is undecidable but less expressive than FOL for reasons of
better computational complexity of reasoning ?    (08)

Regards,    (09)

Michael Brunnbauer    (010)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer