Re: [ontolog-forum] Webby objects

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:57:32 -0500
On Mon, November 19, 2012 16:44, Edward Barkmeyer wrote:
> I think Amanda is right about getting lost in the academic descriptions
> of the properties of reasoners and languages.  I phrased my concerns
> inappropriately, it seems.
>
> John Sowa originally wrote that no user asks for decidability, users
> always ask for more expressiveness.  I have yet to hear a user ask for
> either.  Industry users are interested in capability and performance.
> They ask for more capability, but they want a guarantee of performance.
> "Capability" is the combination of an expressive language for axioms and
> questions and the availability of a reasoning tool that uses them to
> return answers.    (01)

By asking for more capability, the industry uses are -- without knowing it --
asking for more expressiveness.    (02)

>  Performance is the returning of answers in a reasonable length of time.    (03)

I note that performance is a scale, not a binary relation.  It revolves
around the quality of the answer as well as the amount of time it
takes to provide it.  Within reason, a user (industry or other) would
be willing to trade off some time for a higher quality answer.    (04)

> Amanda Vizedom wrote:
>> There are lots of ways to design systems to either disallow certain
>> statements (IMHO, better done semantically than
>> via unusably counter-intuitive or restricted syntax), or decline to
>> process certain reasoning patters that have a high rabbit-hole risk,
>> or cut out after a certain time, or use other techniques to tune
>> performance. The line between decidable and undecidable systems
>> is not a sweet spot for this.    (05)

> Of course.  But the line between DLs and FOLs *is* a sweet spot for
> this.    (06)

Ed, i almost always agree with you 95+% of the time, but i beg to
differ here.  No business programmer programs in a DL language,
from COBOL onward.    (07)

> There are many industry applications that can be met by DLs with
> their measurable performance, in spite of the fact that their
> expressiveness is limited and some of the axiom formulations are hard
> for human experts to read.  The land of FOLs is significantly more
> expressive, but it has many more cliffs and sinkholes that make it much
> more difficult to predict performance.    (08)

I note that a FOL can compute whatever a DL can compute in the same
amount of time.  So, how could a FOL be worse?    (09)

If programmed well, an FOL can compute far more calculations efficiently
than a DL can compute at all.  Note that the limitations on FOL are for
the most extreme situations.  It does not mean that any reasoning in
the FOL will be undecidable.    (010)

I remember a case in an algorithm's class where an inefficient order N
algorithm was deemed "better" than an efficient NP algorithm.  However,
the complexity of the input necessary before the number of calculations
curves crossed made this crossing point at over 10^105 calculations.
I argued that the higher-order algorithm was "better" as no inputs
given to both algorithms would come out with an answer first from
the polynomial algorithm within the lifetime of the poser (or the poser's
machine, or the poser's nation).    (011)

-- doug f    (012)