Re: [ontolog-forum] Webby objects

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 23:11:32 -0500
On 11/16/2012 6:55 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
> Certainly our experience in the manufacturing industry and in the
> cybersecurity business has been that decidability has been a sine qua
> non for commercial use of the technology.    (01)

Decidability is extremely important, and every programmer should take
a course in computational complexity that includes decidability among
its topics.    (02)

But every major programming language since 1945 has been undecidable,
and no programmer would ever want less expressive power.  They have
developed methodologies for using very expressive languages in safe
ways.  Structured programming and design patterns, for example, are
methods for using highly expressive languages in efficient ways.    (03)

On that issue, Pat and I agree.  Following is an article in which I
discuss it and other related points.  Pat liked the article, and so did
Jim Hendler, who was the editor of the journal in which it appeared.    (04)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/fflogic.pdf
    Fads and fallacies about logic    (05)