[ontolog-forum] "Cool URI's for the Semantic Web" (WAS Re: Webby objects

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:10:16 -0800
Doug:    (01)

As a quick sanity check, I always understood that URI's are the more
generic resource identifier, whereas URL's are a type of URI that are a
locator and a URN is a name identifier.  In short, URN = what, URL = where
and how.  This seems to be in alignment with the diagram you point at
below.  I did read that John was referring to URI's and not URL's.    (02)

A URN is a URI
A URL is a URI    (03)

Anyways, now on to the relevant part of why I am writing back.   In
verifying the correctness of the above, I stumbled upon some work at the
W3C entitled "Cool URI's for the Semantic Web"    (04)

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-cooluris-20081203/    (05)

"The Resource Description Framework RDF allows users to describe both Web
documents and concepts from the real world‹people, organisations, topics,
things‹in a computer-processable way. Publishing such descriptions on the
Web creates the Semantic Web. URIs (Uniform Resource Identifiers) are very
important, providing both the core of the framework itself and the link
between RDF and the Web. This document presents guidelines for their
effective use. It discusses two strategies, called 303 URIs and hash URIs.
It gives pointers to several Web sites that use these solutions, and
briefly discusses why several other proposals have problems."    (06)

I am still in the midst of digesting this.    (07)

Duane Nickull
Technoracle Advanced Systems Inc.    (08)

On 2012-11-16 8:15 AM, "doug  foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (09)