Re: [ontolog-forum] Webby objects

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "public-rww@xxxxxx" <public-rww@xxxxxx>, "public-webid@xxxxxx" <public-webid@xxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:24:09 -0500
On 11/16/12 2:15 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> >     In RDF, it's not clear whether a name refers to a document, to
>> >     its content, or to an operation specified by its content.
> RDF is quite clear on this: RDF semantics completely ignores what the URI
>resolves to using HTTP (or indeed any other xxTP). This was an early, and
>quite conscious, design decision.  So we have what a URI denotes, and what it
>"identifies" (in the current W3 jargon) and these are (ab initio) independent
>of one another.  Users may choose to define whatever relationship they feel
>most useful, varying from nothing to identity. Back in 2003, it was felt (IMO
>correctly) that to legislate on this would be counterproductive until a body
>of usage experience had been accumulated. Sure enough, several divergent views
>are emerging.
>
> The notorious http-range-14 decision made this depend upon the HTTP return
>code (200 or 303: basically, if you want to talk about a Web "document", use
>the identifying URI to refer to it; otherwise, the source should generate a
>303 redirect), which I howled against as insanity when it was proposed, but
>which I confess has beeen found to work quite well in practice, cf. DBpedia.
>The current "linked data" view is that the URI should resolve to a source of
>information about the thing denoted, typically more data.
>    (01)

Another snippet from a related conversation [1][2] about matters we are
currently discussing re. WebID and HTTP URIs.    (02)

1. http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2012-11/msg00051.html --
URI everything and everything is Cool revisted
2. http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2012-11/msg00047.html --
earlier reference from prior post .    (03)

Regards,    (05)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software