[ontolog-forum] (W3C) WAS: Re: Webby objects

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:44:16 -0800
Not to takes sides but joining Pat's suggestion for John joining the W3C
and expressing his voice is actually fairly expensive:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/fees?country=United+States&quarter=10-01&year=
2012#results?United States    (01)

The last time a company I worked for joined we paid over $50k.    (02)

Pat, I haven't read all the conditions of this and you probably have the
most experienced in the W3C policies.  Do you know if they have an
alternative path to join?  I was part of the MoU work between various
SDO's including the W3C back a decade ago and I think it is possible to
work through the W3C via one of the MoU's however the organization that
signs the MoU must have legal stature and a clearly defined IPR policy.  I
believe that the Ontolog Forum as it stands today would not qualify.
Nevertheless, there are lots of great ideas on this forum that *should*
(IMHO) be heard within the W3C and other SDO's.    (03)

One thought that crossed my mind was to consider making this forum more of
a group with a voice within the standards world.  This would take a bit of
work but is possible.  Peter and I would have to work out the IP policy
(with the help of anyone with a law degree) in more detail WRT FOSS
licenses.  My personal thoughts are that there is sufficient work being
done here to be recognized as an SDO.  This would require anyone talking
about software in the context of standards to adhere to an IPR policy that
is acceptable to other orgs.    (04)

Thoughts?    (05)

Technoracle Advanced Systems Inc.
Consulting and Contracting; Proven Results!
i.  Neo4J, PDF, Java, LiveCycle ES, Flex, AIR, CQ5 & Mobile
b. http://technoracle.blogspot.com
t.  @duanechaos
"Don't fear the Graph!  Embrace Neo4J"    (06)

On 2012-11-20 10:15 AM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:    (07)