Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 19:41:19 +0200

Hello Pat,    (01)

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 09:53:58AM -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Also, using CL or RDF allows you to treat the realtions as first-class
>entities and quantify over them. This immediately removes one class of
>arguments in favor of the 'constituent' view, that it is necessary to quantify
>over these things that are realtions in a relational view, and you cannot
>quantify over relations in a first-order formalism. You CAN quantify over
>relations in a first-order formalism.     (02)

This is interesting. What defines a first order formalism then ? That it has
a complete deductive calculus ?    (03)

Am I right that OWL allows quantification over properties via class axioms
combined with class descriptions ?    (04)

So someone trying to define OWL FOL would have to be careful to stay in first
order logic because Properties are first class entities ? Would that be a
difficult problem ?    (05)

Regards,    (06)

Michael Brunnbauer    (07)

--