Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ravi sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 23:39:59 -0400
> Doug
> Your explanation is logical, however, I do not have to explain (other than
> those who believe that 2 is True)

Unless we are discussing a computer language in which 0 is FALSE and
any non-zero bit/byte/word/doubleword is TRUE, the issue of numbers
being true or false, does not come up.  The words, as i am used to them
being used in the present context apply to statements, and whether they
correspond to "reality".

> to any one outside as to what 2 is even as a concept?

> Then only we ca say 2+2 and then there have to be those who
> believe that 4 is True.

I'm confused.  Do you mean that those who understand what 2 is
as a concept and who also understand addition, believe that the
statement "2+2 equals 4" is True?  If so, i agree.

> What I was coming to was that 0, 1, whole number
> and infinite as well as innumerable as concepts do these have to be
> understood

I agree with this regarding the first 3.  I wouldn't expect most people
to understand infinite and innumerable as concepts.

> as language or culture related concepts.

I'd disagree that any of your set of concepts are language or culture
related.  I'd expect an extra-terrestrial intelligence to have the same
concepts, but to use different symbols to represent them.

> ... as
> progression to numbers or whole and fractional numbers, what are the
> founding concepts that must be True in languages before we advance to
> relationship between these concepts such as equality or absence as 'zero'
> although it is not the same as either void or vacuum?

The founding concepts that must be true are:
* Whole numbers are sequential; there is exactly one "next" number after
  any given whole number.
* Whole numbers can thus be arranged in a unique order in a "number line".
* One can count along the number line, counting one sequential number
  for each number one reaches consecutively.
* The first whole number is labeled 0.
* The second whole number is labeled 1.
* The result of the addition of two numbers is defined as the number
  reached when counting to the first number from 0, and then counting
  by the second number from the number reached.
* A whole number is equal to itself and to no other number.
* The result of adding two whole numbers is always the same whole number.
[Given this, one can prove that 0 + n = n.]
* Addition is commutative.

> John
> I read a bit of what you wrote for me and Avril and my inquiry is as to
> what should we understand in language that would then help us understand
> 2+2=4. Is it necessary to know 0 or 1 prior to mechanics of math or deeper
> understanding?

Mathematics is based on 0, 1, and counting.  One can memorize addition
and multiplication tables without understanding what one is doing.  But,
one should know something about 0, 1, and counting in order to understand
additional math.

-- doug

Thanks.
Ravi