Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:35:15 -0400
Dear Matthew,    (01)

That is the point I (and Peter van Inwagen) were trying to make:    (02)

> The argument I would give against tropes is that it is an unnecessary
> category. You can manage perfectly well without it, so you should. Or you
> should be clear about the benefits that introducing the category provides,
> and I have not found any benefits that would give me a return on my
> ontological investment, only added complexity.    (03)

But I'd like to clarify and qualify the following point:    (04)

> I don't think things being difficult to understand is a good
> argument against them.    (05)

That is true if there are experts in the field who do understand
them.  There are very important technical subjects that experts in
a field use successfully every day.  It would be a serious mistake
for a layman to forbid experts from using them.    (06)

> I don't understand the Higgs Boson, but it looks increasingly
> likely that it exists.    (07)

That's true.  But if a professional physicist couldn't explain it
in a way that other professionals in the field could understand,
that would be a sign of an inarticulate genius or a crackpot.    (08)

In either case, it's not something I would recommend for
an introductory textbook.    (09)

By the way, in that same article I cited, Peter van I. did say
that he was asked to review an article about tropes and immanent
universals for a research journal.  Instead of rejecting it,
he asked that it be given to someone else to review.    (010)