Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:23:36 -0400
On Wed, July 4, 2012 23:39, ravi sharma wrote:
> Doug
> Your reply is consistent and has helped me. I was wondering why the whole
> number and truth are not related    (01)

Truth, as we have been discussing it, is a feature of a statement/assertion
not of an arbitrary object.    (02)

> and as to why the the issue of numbers being true or false,
> does not come up?    (03)

Same answer.    (04)

> Similarly how many combinations of fractions make up a whole number
> say 1?    (05)

There are an uncountable infinity of equations whose answer is the number
1.  I'm not sure what you mean by "make up".    (06)

> To mathematician 2 is a concept but
> to engineers and physicists at best asymptotic approximations such as
> 1.99999....and degrees of accuracies?    (07)

This is the difference between whole numbers, which are counting numbers
and measurements, calculations, or rational/real numbers.  An engineer or
physicist can count to two as easily as a mathematician can.  A measurement
of a physical quantity will have an uncertainty.    (08)

Approximations appear when using computers for division with floating
point results or fractional powers of a number because they are not infinite
precision machines.  A computer that stores fractions in a fractional
representation instead of in a binary or digital system needs not approximate
the result of division.    (09)

An ontology can model a fraction, logarithm, trigonometric function, or
fractional power without approximation as mathematicians do -- by
referencing the function or simplification thereof.  It need not convert
to a non-terminating binary or decimal representation.    (010)

I would not relate measurement accuracy or computer calculation
approximations to "truth".    (011)

-- doug    (012)