Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:03:29 -0400
Ron,

I implore you to carefully reflect on the simple logic of this.

BTW

"'p' is true" if and only if I believe "'p' is true"

reflects the actual application of "truth" in the real world.

Then the real world goes in for circularity and its consequent infinite regresses. But I do know and trust that people in the real world write few programs with this feature, expect by mistake or for malicious reasons.

To top it all off, my beliefs are under constant revision.

I assume that is because the evidence you have is changing, as you seek further evidence of what is more probably true. OTOH, if you yourself followed the practice of applying truth as you say it is applied, there could logically be no reasons for you to seek evidence or revise your beliefs.  Everything you believed would automatically be true. You would be omniscient, like all the other people who think their believing something makes it so.

Of course, as you say, **many people**, perhaps most, sadly never do question their beliefs (i.e., they never imagine they might not be true).  But
For onltological science and engineering, we can't have circularity, or logical inconsistency.)

I am taking my last chance at making this simple observation on this forum.  I do ask that my message not be replied to, because it seems that these tangential topics always spin out of control.  I would, however, be more than happy to discuss the matter on the phone or privately via email with whomever might wish, as it is very important to me.

Regards

Wm

Ron

--