Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:37:34 -0400
On 6/29/2012 9:44 AM, John Bottoms wrote:
> JohnS wrote: "Perhaps. But we can't predict the future."
>
> John, could you clarify that? It seems that we do successfully predict
> the future.    (01)

I agree that we correctly predict many important aspects of the
near-term future:    (02)

  1. The sun will rise tomorrow.    (03)

  2. When I jump, I will come back down fairly soon.    (04)

  3. When I let go of my pencil, it will fall to the floor.    (05)

  4. When I drive down the road, the other drivers will stay
     on their own side and not aim directly at my car.    (06)

  5. When I turn on the switch, the lights will go on.    (07)

  6. When I set my alarm clock, it will go off at a time that
     is close to what I had intended.    (08)

But these are all fairly routine kinds of events for which we have
an enormous amount of confirmation.  But there are many other kinds
of events that are much, much harder to predict.    (09)

John Sowa    (010)