Re: [ontolog-forum] How long to useful?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 09:38:53 -0700

Dear David,

In a nonhierarchical schema, the schema represents a graph.  The links between tables represent arcs from one node of the graph to another.  Therefore a nonhierarchical schema can be represented by a plurality of hierarchical traversal trees.

The best way to see that is to look at Nils Nilsson’s 1972 or so book titled “Principles of Artificial Intelligence” – or one of his later versions – where he addresses graph search algorithms in detail, yet with the clarity of presentation only Nilsson seems to be able to present.  He shows numerous figures on graph search algorithms, and the on the solution subtrees, which are subtrees of the graph search forest.

Note that Nilsson’s book didn’t specifically address tables (and other relational database components), and was ahead of its time by at least five years.  His graph search descriptions predated relational DBs, and so you have to read among the lines to get that description.

His book was very thin – much less than 200 page – and covered theorem proving, all the major search algorithms, the problem reduction paradigm, and many other things I don’t remember.  The figures were EXCELLENT in an area of study that seldom has good figures by other authors.  If you (or anyone else) wants to get a thorough overview of AI, that is the first place to start.

I couldn’t find that original 1972 version of the book on the web in a quick search, though it is in libraries that were around at the time.  Surely there are many copies still around because it was a popular book back then.  It was such a vivid book, I still carry around some of the images and algorithms in my memory.

Below is a later version of his book – though contaminated by other subjects such as neural networks, and elementary games:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LIXBRwkibdEC&source=gbs_similarbooks

Later versions were released in 1980 and even more recently, but I still prefer the 1972 version, which was clearer and more fundamental than his later publications, IMHO.  Most appropriately, you can see his AND-OR search formulation in my patent at:

http://www.patent2pdf.com/pdf/07209923.pdf

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,