Re: [ontolog-forum] How long to useful?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 19:55:04 -0400

I agree that typical IT organizations focusing on typical administrative applications won’t develop ontologies – although they might implicitly adopt ontologies used by their application domain. However, there are several contexts in which ontologies might be developed where the time and labor investment could be considered worthwhile.

One such context is in supporting product line architectures within some product or service organization. BMW, for example has invested for many years in their own product line architecture to support different model categories, feature sets, and supporting component and software sets. None of this investment would have been viewed as supportable if used by a single car model or even model line development team. And the investment is ongoing and evolving as new feature/types and models are developed (e.g., hybrids and all-electric cars). The key is to be able to make the case that the investment will have returns across a broad range of products/projects and service  customer sets. BMW’s doesn’t call what they are doing using an ontology, but it sure has many of the attributes of an ontology.

A second important context for justifying the investment in an ontology is at the industry segment/domain level. An example might be the Supply Chain Operational Reference  (SCOR) Model developed by the Supply Chain Council, an industry consortium promoting interoperability among manufacturing and transportation service providers participating in supply chains.

My focus here is not to claim that these are ontologies, but to highlight the business model context and scope conditions/attributes under which investment in ontology development might be justified. The ontology has to be useful over more than one product/project/service, and have payoff over a timeframe comparable to and, ideally, well beyond the timeframe needed to develop the ontology. If multiple organizations will achieve mutual benefit from an ontology (as in the supply chain example), an organizational entity that transcends individual participating organizations will generally be required. In some cases an individual organization might be dominant enough in the domain to drive such development (e.g., Walmart in commercial RFID standards or the US military in military interface standards), but this is fairly unlikely and often creates countervailing forces against adoption of the standard/ontology, such as competitive fears or fears of dependence on outside agencies.

Hans