Re: [ontolog-forum] How long to useful?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 16:24:29 -0400 (EDT)

David,

> And I would offer that whatever it is of value you can produce must
> be put into the hands of end-users who have essentially no interest
> at all in ontology. What you've produced?whatever it is?must make
> their job easier...

I agree.  But I would add that this principle applies equally well to everybody involved -- including subject matter experts (SMEs) and application developers.

You can't expect SMEs, such as physicians or geologists, to take a training course in your system before they can use it to do anything useful.

You can expect programmers to look at a description of the API for your system -- but only if it is written in terms of the programming language they are already using, not in terms of some notation you hope they will learn.

Bottom line:  Anybody who claims that ontology will make life simpler has an obligation to demonstrate that simplicity in any tools they develop.

John