Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 14:40:08 -0700

Inventors who die poor are more the rule than the exception.  I am told that the likelihood of an arbitrary patent paying its owner more than the owner paid to prosecute the patent is about one percent.  Today, if you use an attorney or agent, it costs about ten grand to get an average patent through the USPTO.  About one grand of USPTO fees, and the rest for the attorney/agent.

I did the prosecution myself (you can do that too) and it cost me about one grand for prosecution, and another two grand to pay maintenance fees late.  So you can get a better deal, but you have to understand patent litigation to do it right, IMHO.

At this point, there is a lot of need for semantics patents.  Subtle solutions to well known problems using semantics is a wide open area for IP development.

JB, I just visited your web site and I see you have a book on emerging linguistics applications.  Could you give a brief review of the book and its subject matter?

Thanks,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper