Re: [ontolog-forum] Early Browser History and the Origin of Semantic Too

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 22:34:17 -0500
On Sun, 2012-04-08 at 21:21 -0400, John Bottoms wrote:    (01)

> 3. Unknown CALS browser, 1988
> Lost somewhere in my archives is a document outlining the RFP process for a
>Navy CALS project. We were able to demonstrate Silversmith on several CALS
>technical documents, yet lost the proposal to a beltway vendor.     (02)

I wonder if the unknown browser was from TMS Inc., a small software
company headquartered in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In 1992 Cessna Aircraft
Co. selected TMS software to support the first CD-ROM technical
publications offering for general aviation aircraft. TMS Inc. had
recently completed a large CD-ROM project for the Navy, putting all the
publications for a large ship onto dozens (perhaps hundreds) of CDs,
with indexed navigation and retrieval across the entire library.    (03)

Your history did not include the most ambitious attempt yet to
standardize hypertext theory and practice: HyTime, ISO 10744. Dr.
Goldfarb was behind that also, and Dr. James Mason headed the ISO WG.    (04)

Lots of interesting stories on this topic from the past several decades,
but few convincingly clear lessons that can be used in other contexts.    (05)

Regards,
--Paul    (06)