Re: [ontolog-forum] Early Browser History and the Origin of Semantic Too

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:10:15 -0400
Paul --    (01)

I think Steve Newcomb should be given primary credit for HyTime.    (02)

I attended one of his early presentations on the HyTime Architectural
Forms at Hypertext 89 in Pittsburgh.    (03)

I would describe it as an SGML application that enabled representation
of time-based media, extending it beyond the "text" in hypertext. I
remember that, in an unpublished book draft, John B. made a reference to
HyTime in a presentation by SoftQuad's Yori Robinsky, an early developer
of SGML browsers.    (04)

But Newcomb occasionally contributes to this forum himself. So I hope
that he addresses any connections between HyTime and early browser history.    (05)

      Phil Murray    (06)

Paul Tyson wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-04-08 at 21:21 -0400, John Bottoms wrote:
>
>> 3. Unknown CALS browser, 1988
>> Lost somewhere in my archives is a document outlining the RFP process for a
>Navy CALS project. We were able to demonstrate Silversmith on several CALS
>technical documents, yet lost the proposal to a beltway vendor.
> I wonder if the unknown browser was from TMS Inc., a small software
> company headquartered in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In 1992 Cessna Aircraft
> Co. selected TMS software to support the first CD-ROM technical
> publications offering for general aviation aircraft. TMS Inc. had
> recently completed a large CD-ROM project for the Navy, putting all the
> publications for a large ship onto dozens (perhaps hundreds) of CDs,
> with indexed navigation and retrieval across the entire library.
>
> Your history did not include the most ambitious attempt yet to
> standardize hypertext theory and practice: HyTime, ISO 10744. Dr.
> Goldfarb was behind that also, and Dr. James Mason headed the ISO WG.
>
> Lots of interesting stories on this topic from the past several decades,
> but few convincingly clear lessons that can be used in other contexts.
>
> Regards,
> --Paul

The Semantic Advantage
Turning Information into Assets