Re: [ontolog-forum] Paper on how to build your first ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:24:59 -0500
On 12/18/11 10:06 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
>   (That was the fatal flaw in the SemWeb:
> ignoring everything that went before -- including the fact that
> every commercial web site was built around a relational DB.)
John,    (01)

But that's no longer the case today. For instance, you have SPARQL [1]
which is closely aligned to SQL. You have R2RML [2] which enables the
construction of Linked Data views over relational data sources.    (02)

Yes, salvo #1 of the Semantic Web Project had many issues, but we really
have to move beyond the early snafus and look at matters via
contemporary lenses.    (03)

Please forgive the past. Initially they got many things wrong, across a
number of technical and marketing fronts, but that's the past :-)    (04)

Links:    (05)

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/ -- SPARQL.
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/r2rml/ -- R2RML .
3. http://goo.gl/jKNQO -- example of SPARQL and R2RML put to practical
use re., Linked Data views over an Oracle DBMS.    (06)

Regards,    (08)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software