Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology, Analogies and Mapping Disparate Fields

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Gruninger <gruninger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali SH <asaegyn+out@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:00:59 -0500
Dear John,

I haven't been at a proper computer until today so I haven't had a chance to respond.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm trying to identify the meat of your criticism, but as far as I can tell the discussion has focused on / taken issue with framing and emphasis.

To be clear, you're not objecting to any of the main contributions, which include, but are not limited to:
  • two concrete, formal definitions of modular ontology
    • which are dependent on the notion of core-hierarchy,
    • which in turn are dependent on recognizing the distinction between conservative and non-conservative extensions,
  • how to arrange said modular ontologies into hierarchies that exhibit desirable properties
  • how to define quasi-orderings over such modular hierarchies
  • how to construct an ontology repository that exhibits desirable mathemtical + computational properties
  • how to implement semi-automated procedures to decompose/map novel ontologies into such a repository
  • formal, detailed, fine-grained specifications for how theories in the lattice may be connected to one another
  • formally defining how two ontologies are Similar and Different
And as far as I can tell, it appears your major qualm is that we have not emphasized the link to the Lindebaum Lattice and AGM theory to your preference.

[JFS] The key generalization that cuts through the muck is something I've
been talking about for years:  The Lindenbaum Lattice for a given
logic and vocabulary.

Hmmm, are not partial orders a generalization of lattices?