Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology, Analogies and Mapping Disparate Fields

To: Michael Gruninger <gruninger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ali SH <asaegyn+out@xxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:30:14 -0500
On 12/20/2011 11:14 AM, Michael Gruninger wrote:
> Actually, John, the burden here is on you to provide such an example.    (01)

Over the years, I've focused on examples about the way the lattice
and the AGM operators can be used to relate ontologies and to construct
them by combining modules.  Go to Google and type the following terms:    (02)

    lindenbaum lattice ontology sowa    (03)

That will get 1410 hits.  If you add AGM, that narrows it down
to 158 hits.  Some of them are notes, slides, and papers that I've
written.  Others are by people who refer to them.    (04)

As I said, I didn't invent the lattices or the AGM operators, all the
definitions, theorems, and proofs are in the published literature,
and the only thing that needs to be done is to use the thoroughly
developed and tested formalism.    (05)

My claim is that LL and AGM are the proper foundation for COLORE and
other OOR tools.  Your claim is that 42 pages of more formalism are
needed to address some practical problems that LL+AGM can't handle.    (06)

JFS
>> I believe that the group made a mistake.  I can define equivalent
>> notions of modularity, reducibility, translations, and mappings with
>> an equal level of formality.  Use the term 'hierarchy' for the
>> implemented subsets of lattices.    (07)

MG
> Show me!!!    (08)

I'm not going to redo your 42-page paper, which I believe is overkill.
But if there is any useful concept in there that is needed for OOR,
and you can't define it with minor additions to LL+AGM, please let
me know and I'll show you how.    (09)

But I want to emphasize:  it must be some concept that is useful
for actual OOR management, operation, or application.    (010)