Re: [ontolog-forum] If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:42:53 +0200
AA: The schema.org's team has chosen popular promises, shirking all sorts of
>> "intellectualese" as ontology, formal logic, etc: "be simple, and the web
>> masses will follow you."
JS:
> The vocabulary for schema.org is more like WordNet.  It a taxonomy
> of useful terms, but it should not be considered an ontology.    (01)

Indeed. It's neither a simple classification of things, nor a taxonomy of
terms.
Also, it is far away from WordNet, which looks a good lexical taxonomy.  The
schema.org is more a sort of fully arbitrary pigeonholing relating things by
some artificial criteria, if any, while real classification has some logic
when one divides all animal world wrt eating qualities, human beings by
ethnicity, or natural resources wrt origin, development, renewability or
ubiquity.
Although, it mentions about the organization of schemas, that "the types are
arranged in a hierarchy", just look at the "type hirerachy" of Thing,
:http://schema.org/docs/full.html
  a.. Creative works
  b.. Embedded non-text objects
  c.. Event
  d.. Organization
  e.. Person
  f.. Place, LocalBusiness, Restaurant ...
  g.. Product, Offer, AggregateOffer
  h.. Review, AggregateRating
That's why in my previous, i noted that  "data models and data interchange
languages have limited efficiency because of defective schemas, i.e.,
maturity of computing ontologies, and only then because of data types,
syntax, encoding or decoding in browsers, etc."
It's plain, this "classification system", even as designed by the commercial
principle, " be simpler, and the web masses will follow you", needs to be
completely reworked due to its unreal schema regardless that "Search engines
including Bing, Google, Yahoo! and Yandex rely on this markup..." or, may
be, because of that....    (02)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (03)

http://www.eis.com.cy