Re: [ontolog-forum] If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 14:10:26 -0500
On 12/6/11 1:32 PM, AzamatAbdoullaev wrote:
> BOTTOM LINE
> Many issues (with smart web applications and semantic web technologies) are
> coming from the lack of commitment to a common ontology, as a universal,
> referenceable system of meanings, a guarantee of consistency, completeness
> and understanding, serving as a solid foundation for
> data/information/knowledge indexing, metatagging, retrieval, and
> communicating.
Folks have to feel the pain of something being wrong en route to getting
it fixed.    (01)

As structured data makes its way on to the Web, at massive scales, the
context for ontology appreciation will also materialize.    (02)

We need Web scale structured data out there first, the refinement and
incentives for such activities will follow as part of natural progression.    (03)

Reading an ontology and then applying it to existing murky data is one
of the most powerful mechanism for unveiling and showcasing their
intrinsic value.    (04)

Links:    (05)

1.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http://schema.org/Mountain
-- simple example showing the benefits of cross linking DBpedia (by no
means a perfect ontology) and Schema.org (by no means a perfect ontology) .    (06)

2. https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/posts/711dfZYqGyA --
note demonstrating practical utility of OWL reasoning applied to the
perpetual task of data quality .    (07)

Regards,    (09)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software