Re: [ontolog-forum] What's "Ontology Chemistry"?

To: <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:28:14 +0200
Thanks for the feedback, Chris.    (01)

You had written:    (02)

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Christopher Spottiswoode
> <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Phil, thanks, I'm glad it made sense, and, yes, please remember as we
>> go that I am relying on Ontolog readers such as yourself to stop me
>> when one of my metaphors is misleading me, or doesn't seem to make
>> sense.
>
> I wouldn't go so far as saying they don't make sense but, speaking for
> myself, I don't find them any more illuminating with regard to any
> concrete element of ontological engineering than I find poetry.    (03)

But was it not clear that the visualizable image (even if not
glorifiable as poetic) had been intended merely as a lead-in to my next
major post?    (04)

It was a sort of graphic announcement, and hopefully a helpful one as we
proceed, that something maybe unexpected by ontology engineers would
be following.    (05)

Perhaps I might also repeat this paragraph from near the end of the
offending post:    (06)

>> Now, before we move on to such immediate detail, do please note that
>> just as the cellular and genetic picture above is presumed the basis
>> of all life as an evolutionary phenomenon, so also does the AOS and
>> ontology-defined-context memetic setup address all sharable or common
>> knowledge as a fully evolutionary phenomenon.  With your help in
>> clarifying my presentation of this long-evolved design, you will
>> hopefully soon see surprisingly easily how discovery, creativity and
>> invention - and hence variation and evolution of the relevant
>> replicators, namely ontologies - are also part of that picture in a
>> very central, detailed and practical way.    (07)

For my part, I certainly don't see any present ontology engineering
fitting that bill as Ontology Chemistry will.    (08)

I hope I won't disappoint you.  But please tell me if I do?    (09)

Christopher    (010)