Re: [ontolog-forum] Some Grand Challenge proposal ironies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:26:50 -0400
Rich --    (01)

Would it be fair to say that part of the USPTO "mess" -- exacerbated by
sheer volume of patents -- is that the meaning expressed in the
processes of research, writing, and evaluation of patents is not
formalized? One result appears to be that the huge effort devoted to
those attempts at precise representation of terms, precise
representation of functionality (including representations of similar
functionality), and precise representation of chains of influence in
natural language is wasted. There is much less benefit to all subsequent
patent-seekers than there should be.    (02)

IMHO, attempting to address the superabundance of unstructured
information by using ontologies to federate resources and improve access
to that information results in necessary but marginal improvements. We
need to rethink the problem as a whole. There is, in fact, much less
knowledge than information. We cannot ignore that fact.    (03)

       Phil Murray    (04)

--

The Semantic Advantage
Turning Information into Assets