Re: [ontolog-forum] Some Grand Challenge proposal ironies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Steve Ray <steve.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali SH <asaegyn+out@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:25:26 -0400
Hi Christopher,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Christopher Spottiswoode <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1.       The universal yet simple concept of the suggested Ontology
Chemistry Grand Challenge target product, the Application Operating
System (AOS).

could you explain how this challenge differs from past efforts of creating a "Semantic Desktop"?

I understand your proposal hopes to achieve much much more, but the AOS seems like a pre-requisite for all the other future desires.

Could you provide a suggestion as to how this effort would overcome some of those past challenges?

For starters, if I recall correctly, the SRI team spent quite a bit of time trying to develop something quite similar to this (IRIS Semantic Desktop, which was to work with CALO which in turn became Siri), and there are currently these efforts: http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/ or  http://www.oscaf.org/

Comparisons to these systems and how this Grand Challenge would differ from them (and how this re-framing might overcome the obstacles they faced) would be very useful in helping me understand and provide useful feedback regarding this proposal.

Thanks,
Ali