Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: War of the Ontological World - short article b

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "edbark@xxxxxxxx" <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:11:43 +0000

The division between Neats and Scruffies goes back in AI to at least the late 1970s-early 1980s and probably before. I remember fighting those nomenclature/scientific stance wars in the mid-1980s. We tried to at one point to clarify this as a distinction between rationalists and empiricists, and made some traction. However, most of us working in ontologies these days are both, with a predilection to one of those poles. I myself am a scruffy neat. Oh wait …

Thanks,

Leo