Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology Chemistry - foundation and method

To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 01:05:06 +0200
Ah, Pat, (others may see his contribution appended below) I had been
wondering if you would threaten to slam your habitual supposed ace of
trumps down on my play of my hand.  But I had thought it more probable
later, if at all, on the assumption that in your old age (You are after
all only a few years short of my 70 ...) you would have grown more
broad-minded, curious and patient, and not leap so readily to such
necessarily poorly-informed judgment on a picture still unfolding...    (01)

But I'm ready to play along, even after such blanket comment, as I did
invite Community steering of my introductory dot-joining tracing-out of
some of the many aspects of this unusual elephant that is my Challenge
suggestion.  (That invitation was at this point in my first post:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2011-10/msg00088.html#nid011.)    (02)

I can usually adapt.  (Mens sana in corpore sano, and I do regularly and
enjoyably keep nimble in the mountains near my home.  Ok, that's now
enough from me of ad hominem points on both of us.)    (03)

So, Pat, firstly, thanks for the shove!    (04)

Now, to Pat and everybody else:    (05)

I offer to jump ahead in my provisional plan, and with my next post
proceed directly to a technical outline of the suggested Challenge
target.    (06)

The advantage seems clear:  you would expect sooner to have something
between your teeth which you could comfortably relate to your normal way
of viewing and doing your job.  One might also think that this is what
potential Challenge entrants would expect to see.    (07)

The downside, however, is that such an outline would at best require
much tedious context-adjustment, clarification and justification, and at
worst risks inappropriate pouring of new wine into old bottles.  New
paradigms tend to be like that, and they tend to transform many jobs.
The need now is for me to describe and convey the whole picture as best
I can and with your ongoing constructive input.  Then we would be better
positioned for our joint refinement of the more appropriate definition
of the target for potential Challenge entrants as well as for the
downstream management of the Challenge and eventual judging of candidate
products.    (08)

Could I have some votes in this informal ballot on those alternatives,
please?  Online or offline as you choose, and no holds barred.    (09)

I summarize the above alternatives:    (010)

1.  I stick to my intended course, hopefully with your continual input
in due course (especially once I've offered more specifics);  or    (011)

2.  I jump ahead now to a technical view but then continually zigzag
between it and the more waffly-seeming background that adds the wider
perspectives that really define and differentiate it.    (012)

TIA,
Christopher    (013)