Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics of Natural Languages

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:30:20 -0700
Hi John,    (01)

Thanks for the links, but that isn't what I am
interested in; I'm more focused on WHY Cyc (and
other approaches to developing massive knowledge
bases) is thought by so many to have failed, e.g.,
Genesereth for example.      (02)

Before the Cyc project started, the common view
given full imprimaturitan status in the research
community was that it was KNOWLEDGE that was
lacking for full AI, and only THAT was keeping AI
from universal suffrage.      (03)

I am looking for opinions by people who might know
as to WHY that assumption was clearly so wrong.
Knowledge is NOT enough, and that has been clearly
demonstrated by Cyc's lack of demonstrated value
in universality of intelligence.      (04)

Small, highly focused projects, such as the blocks
world and its successful linguistic manipulation
as per Terry Winograd's (admitted) kluge, and the
surprisingly good results from very simple (also
kludged) chatbots such as Parry, and the
Somebody's Prize demonstrating lack of scalability
of said chatbots, shows SOMETHING.  But what KIND
of something?    (05)

More study of Cyc seems to belong to the same
viewpoint as theocratic studies of angel densities
and pinheads, the viscosity of ether, and mappings
of magnetic fields in thousands of points.
Instead, the Einsteinian approach of novel - dare
I say subjective -interpretations (in his case, of
the Michelson-Morley results) seems to be what is
most clearly lacking at this point in time.      (06)

Why DON'T huge hunks of deduced, induced, abduced
and reduced knowledge suffice?  What is still
lacking?  Why don't gobs of special purpose
functionality, coupled with gobs of knowledge, do
the trick?    (07)

Why DO simple approaches work so well at small
scales?    (08)

Why DON't simple approaches scale well?      (09)

Why DOESN't a simple chatbot with Cyc on its back
suffice to convince observers in a Turing test?    (010)

In the fifties or so, game theory was developing.
Turing came up with a biological explanation of
what would be called the hox genes to form complex
biological strata.  Lately, we have learned that
there are only some 20,000 genes which are
adequate for making a human bean, but that leaves
out a LOT of so called JUNK DNA, meaning genetic
structures we still don't have a clue about.      (011)

Those are the kinds of new ideas that need to be
reduced to practice.  And that is why the patent
form, with one advance teaching AGAINST prior art,
seems interesting to me as a model of how to take
the next steps.      (012)

-Rich    (013)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper