Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics of Natural Languages

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:26:07 -0700

Hi Azamat, Adrian and John,

Comments below,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

-----Original Message-----
From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of AzamatAbdoullaev
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:17 AM
To: [ontolog-forum]
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics of Natural Languages

    AA:>On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:50 AM, John wrote:

    "Cyc is probably the ultimate development of the classical AI paradigm of a

    big ontology + knowledge base + inference engine(s).

    About a dozen years ago, I was talking with Mike Genesereth, who said "Lenat

    is probably the only one who doesn't know that Cyc has failed."

RC:> That is the kind of thinking that all of us show in one form or another.  We seem stuck in our structured ways after the first four decades or six, unable to overthrow the past beliefs and institute new untried ones.

    This is an interesting phenomenon, meriting another special ontology, of

    critical thinking, as a high-order thinking questioning assumptions and the

    quality of methods, historically originated as Socratic method. Its about

    willingness to critically evaluate your thinking, remain open to alternative

    perspectives, to integrate new/revised perspectives into your ways of

    thinking and acting, employing ontology and logic, formal and informal,

    intelectual skills, as breadth and depth, credibility and relevance,

    clarity, accuracy and precision, significance and fair-mindedeness, as well

    as intellectual traits: integrity, tenacity, confidence, courage, empathy,

    and i-humility .

    If one's critical thinking, which is still not a creative thinking, is

    devoid of the intellectual habits/traits of the mind, then the same subject

    falls prey to his egoistic self-interests, he is manupulative, unethical,

    and badly subjective.

    There is a bad public side here as well, the cause why many academic and

    semi-academic projects, well-promoted and well-funded by the government

    agencies, are never delivering anything valuable for the public.

    Azamat Abdoullaev

RC:> I'm not familiar with Cyc, other than with the original papers Lenat wrote about Eurisko, AM, etc that I assume are precursors of Cyc, with lots of humans editing the materials to make them fit "standard beliefs and nomenclature".  But I haven't heard anything about Cyc being able to do creative thinking beyond what was described in those precursors - combining older simpler concepts into, perhaps novel, newer concepts certainly, but also throwing out some of the old concepts that get in the way of new ones.  Most of creative thinking is in such rearrangement or recombination of old ideas, along with jettisoning past strongly held beliefs, IMHO.

That is visible in patent specification sequences, especially when the inventor documents the older technologies that led to the one she is patenting; then the next one jettison's hers, and so on.  There are always limitations to current technology, and when "current" gives way to "later", there are parallel developments which only practitioners of the art tend to follow with reasoning instead of duplication.

I don't see that concept of "being influenced and overthrown by later developments" discussed in Cyc, but then I don't see much of anything discussed about Cyc past the precursors I mentioned anywhere in the public literature; I'm not referring to tutorials about Cyc, but about analyses.  Does anyone have references to how Cyc has progressed since then - publicly available references freely downloadable?