Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics of Natural Languages

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:16:38 +0300
On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:50 AM, John wrote:
"Cyc is probably the ultimate development of the classical AI paradigm of a
big ontology + knowledge base + inference engine(s).
About a dozen years ago, I was talking with Mike Genesereth, who said "Lenat
is probably the only one who doesn't know that Cyc has failed."    (01)

This is an interesting phenomenon, meriting another special ontology, of
critical thinking, as a high-order thinking questioning assumptions and the
quality of methods, historically originated as Socratic method. Its about
willingness to critically evaluate your thinking, remain open to alternative
perspectives, to integrate new/revised perspectives into your ways of
thinking and acting, employing ontology and logic, formal and informal,
intelectual skills, as breadth and depth, credibility and relevance,
clarity, accuracy and precision, significance and fair-mindedeness, as well
as intellectual traits: integrity, tenacity, confidence, courage, empathy,
and i-humility .
If one's critical thinking, which is still not a creative thinking, is
devoid of the intellectual habits/traits of the mind, then the same subject
falls prey to his egoistic self-interests, he is manupulative, unethical,
and badly subjective.
There is a bad public side here as well, the cause why many academic and
semi-academic projects, well-promoted and well-funded by the government
agencies, are never delivering anything valuable for the public.
Azamat Abdoullaev    (02)