[ontolog-forum] Sorted for ∃s and whizz (was Re: type free logic and hi

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <ses@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:14:39 -0400
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 I have been taken to task by some very competent logicians for calling CL first-order, as they are using a purely syntactic criterion of order. Nobody is right in debates like this[...]

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong...

But I didn't come here to talk order, law and or otherwise.  I came here to talk about CL, types/sorts, and syntax.  All of the concrete syntactic sugar to allow variables to be constrained to satisfy some one-place predicate. However, the semantics are explicitly and deliberately designed so that type errors lead to sentences which are always  false, rather than being syntax errors.

Was a sorted dialect of CL ever proposed?

Simon