Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard Vines" <plessons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 05:30:33 +1000

Hi Rich,

You have asked: Is there a way we can make progress on a self interest ontology? …. It seems to me that a much more basic understanding of self interest is needed.

It is interesting to observe how things emerge.

From my perspective at the start of this conversation the focus was not on self-interest but on how to think about dealing with incommensurability. I have copied in below the bits of where I engaged in the first place. I was interested in your views (subjective construction) and John’s differing perspectives (analysis and rationality). I have also copied below your follow up comments calling for “a full account of self interest”.

But having said that, what has emerged in the conversation now have inter-connected threads. I think notions of self interest and incommensurability are integrally tied to each other. An account of self-interest cannot be developed if it does not deal with the challenges of incommensurability and visa versa.

You also said: I subscribe to the libertarian view that government only concentrates power in those who seek it, for whatever reason, and that the wisdom of the crowd is much more potent and effective than the wisdom of some “representative” government.  You may remember many posts back, that I was suggesting the use of a wider participation in choosing how money is spent, and how regulations are drawn, by enlisting the internet as a method for providing government direction instead of a very small elite elected group.

Whilst I agree with this mostly, I am not sure always that the wisdom of the crowd is necessarily more potent and effective. Crowds themselves can become deluded and lost – there are plenty examples from history about this.

So, in order to progress, I think that the mediation of self interest requires a focus on mediating incommensurability (or perhaps a softer way of saying this is “semantic evolution”). Ontologies cannot be hard wired and imposed, there has to be an ability to interpret and modify these – thus I think they have to be designed explicitly to take into account the ability to apply human interpretative intelligence at multiple levels of context.

As you are suggesting, and I agree with this, that participatory democracy requires the creation of pathways of engagement at the local levels (the edges). But equally commitments to support evolutionary processes to enable the margins to influence the hierarchy. Managing for and mediating emergence is what I think is an interesting challenge.

One way of thinking about this challenge is to re think the very nature of regulation itself. Reflexive regulatory systems are embodied in all living systems (your case study tells a story about such things, because Strepta used a form of self interest regulation in the form of a chemical message).

I do not see regulation as an infringement of self-interest. It is an infringement of selfish interest and so it should be.

Cheers,

Richard