Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 19:50:20 +0300
John,    (01)

what is the practical difference in applying Dunn's approach vs.
applying Kripke's approach? Suppose that you are implementing a chess
program. You have a repository where are all the possible games, all
the possible sequences of the discrete steps that can be taken in
chess. Now, how do I apply D here, and how do I apply K here? What's
the difference?    (02)

-Avril    (03)

PS:    (04)

As you know, these dichotomies all mean the same:    (05)

Form - Matter
Universal - Particular
Type - Token    (06)

but they are different from these:    (07)

Concrete - Abstract
Not mental but exists - Mental    (08)

I don't see any confusion in the dichotomy to concrete/not mental and
abstract/mental. As an ontological realist, I believe that all mental
objects are situated somewhere inside the sculls of thinking
creatures, and the thinking creatures are spatially separated. No
confusion here either. All abstract things are intangible, and all
intangible things are abstract. Or I can't come up with an example of
an intangible thing that is not abstract.    (09)

This thread has taught that it's better to use the term "possible
totality state of affairs" than "possible world". That's a valuable
lesson. As an example of how the "other-worldly" thinking confuses
stuff is that if the imaginable necessarily inaccessible worlds are
considered to exist in the concrete sense, following Lewis, then these
are concrete but also intangible to us. This is also an example case
where the principle of economical understandability PEU can be used:
1) this-worldly theories are enough for all needs even in principle;
2) the other-worldly stuff does no good but does harm by confusing
people at best; 3) the useful features of the other-worldly theories
can be formulated in terms of this-worldly theories. PEU favours
this-worldly theories over the other-worldly theories.    (010)