Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:34:38 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, July 20, 2011 9:45, Patrick Cassidy said:
> I have used the notio0n of "possible world" to include *any* possible
> world,
> whether hypothetical, counterfactual, future projection, part of a belief
> system, etc., as well as possible actual physical universes (in a
> multiverse) other than our own that really exist.  It's a useful notion.
> Is
> there some restricted specialized definition that is being discussed here?    (01)

Sorry, Pat.  I was referring to the concept of a multiverse and the
question of whether each of the infinitude of "possible worlds" in
such a multiverse is real.    (02)

There is certainly a use in using ontologies in hypothetical, projected,
belief system, an restricted subset "possible worlds".    (03)

It might be useful to partially populate a hypothetical "possible world"
that possesses some axioms that are questioned in order to see if a
contradiction occurs.  This is a reductio ad absurdum technique.    (04)

-- doug f    (05)

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (09)