Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:51:17 +0100
Dear Chris and John,    (01)

> On Jul 12, 2011, at 2:46 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> > But one of the most dangerous philosophical diseases is to adopt
> > an approach that works well for one kind of problem and try
> > to apply it to everything -- the "only tool" syndrome.
> >
> > For example, purely extensional representations are useful for
> > talking about physical objects and processes, but they cannot
> > deal with anything that involves intentionality.  They cannot
> > answer any question that begins with the word 'why'.  They
> > can't represent a goal, a promise, or a contract.
>
> Not that I'm a big fan of such approaches, but by quantifying over
possible
> worlds a great deal involving intentionality can be dealt with
extensionally -
> cf., notably, the work of David Lewis.     (02)

MW: And I have successfully used just this approach in my book "Developing
High Quality Data Models" to represent just such things as goals, promises
and contracts extensionally. So not only is it possible. It's been done.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (06)