Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminologies and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 18:25:16 +0300
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 6:38 AM
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminologies and Ontologies    (01)

> On 4/28/2011 12:22 PM, AzamatAbdoullaev wrote:
>> Partitioning ontologies as formal and informal ones is rather confusing.
>
> Actually, it's very simple.
>
> The definition I suggested:
>
>     An ontology is a theory about what exists in some domain.
AA: "What exists in some domain" might concern with the subject of any
discipline or study or science, mathematics, physics, economics, history,
etc., each having its sphere, domain, area, or field.
In fact, Ontology is a description of the world. A formal ontology is a
formal theory/account/model/specification of the world.    (02)

> A formal ontology is one that is stated in some version of logic
> or mathematics that is capable of supporting automated deduction.
>
> An informal ontology is one that is described in ordinary language.
> That is not a form that can be used for automated deduction.
>
>> (N) stands for Normative Ontology
>
> The decision to make any specification normative is orthogonal
> to the nature of the specification or whether it is formalized.
>
> That is a completely separate issue, which is determined by
> some group that has the authority to make such decisions.
AA: It's a bit out of the context. As all sciences, one can divide ontology
into three broad categories: descriptive, normative and exact (as in the
ontology lattice diagram).