Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:55:16 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Wheeler" <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies    (01)

> On 21/04/2011 1:36 PM, AzamatAbdoullaev wrote:
>> AA
>>> Interoperability is a critical idea needing depth and breadth
>>> and common foundation framework.
>> JS
>>> At that level of detail, we agree.  But the framework must support
>>> existing systems, future systems, and people at all levels of education.
>> John,
>> We are in accord here.
>> But any thing, product, system, service, network, or technology to be
>> interoperable must be compatible with the same standard, ideally, with a
>> standard ontology.
>> Let me remind some key points mentioned in my last:
>> 1. There are nation-level programs as EU Interoperability Framework, USA
>> NIEM, or UK e-GIF.
>> 2. Interoperability in general implies common standards, specifications,
>> formats, categorizations and integration,  unifying models and schemas.
>> 3. the General Interoperability Framework (GIF) is closely connected with
>> world/domain reference model as a common foundation ontology.
>> Take what closely concerns the most of the Forum: the US National
>> Information Exchange Model:  http://www.niem.gov/. "It is designed to
>> develop, disseminate and support enterprise-wide information exchange
>> standards and processes that can enable jurisdictions to effectively
>> share
>> critical information in emergency situations, as well as support the
>> day-to-day operations of agencies throughout the nation."
>> Its syntactic operability is to be achieved by using the XML Schema data
>> model, constructs, and methods, seemingly, thus supporting existing
>> "legacy
>> systems", across all levels of the government, federal, state and local.
>> However, the issue of issues how to achieve computatable Semantic
>> Interoperability, among any and all communicating entities, legacy ones
>> or
>> not. Seemingly, by developing the GIF implying a fundamental set of basic
>> entities and relationships, providing the semantic basis (meaning
>> exchange/interpretation standards and processes) for more specialized
>> domains and fields and applications.
>> Given that, I am convinced that to obtain the General Semantic
>> Interoperability standard, costing hundreds billions per year, means to
>> develop a single world reference model, in the first place.
>> Azamat Abdoullaev
> Just not possible.
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Who gets to decide? There are too many stakeholders.
> Each stakeholder will have trouble giving up a view of the universe that
> has served their organization for years in order to fix someone else's
> problem with this view.
> We have survived an Imperial vs Metric world for 2 centuries with being
> able to agree on something so clear cut.
> We just make the conversions when we need to and the rest of the time we
> pick one.
> In Canada, we measure in metric but the frequently result is something
> that makes sense in inches (plywood comes in the metric equivalent of
> 4x8 feet sheets and no one has any idea about how big that is in metric).
>
> I have no expectation that the US Justice Department and the US
> Treasury are ever going to agree on some definitions of financial
> transactions.
AA: Lacking a common Financial Interoperbility Framework, they will endanger
the whole concept of the NIEM initiative, compromising public safety,
disaster management, justice and infrastructure protection, and homeland
security.
> The hierarchy of objects will probably never match and will be a problem
> for the people who have to define the interoperability rules for
> companies who need to take their own internal view of the universe and
> provide views for the external agencies that fit their hierarchies.
> Try telling the EU or the Chinese that they have adopt the US Treasury's
> view of the financial world.
AA: The assumption is too provocative, all big sides should go for a
Financial World Reference Model.