Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:18:52 -0700
Doug,    (01)

I think we are in agreement here.    (02)

I also think that perhaps there is but one distinction between what
I've been calling "topic maps" and the ontologies discussed here, and
perhaps it is this (keeping in mind I am not distinguishing by means
of implementation, since topic maps have been written in everything
from frame languages to RDF including dialects of OWL): a topic map
remains a map of a possibly large territory, one that provides
mappings among definitions and terms, as well as relations among
topics; as a map, it seeks to "locate" like topics together, same
topics at the same "location".  A distinction is that use of key-value
pair properties is encouraged over reliance on individual URIs for
identification. Other than that, a topic map could be any ontology
taken from a library of them. To be considered conformant with the
reference model (TMRM), certain definitions must be made available in
a public "legend". Where that is already the case, there may be no
distinction whatsoever; that is, an ontology can be a topic map and
vice versa.  My bringing topic maps into this conversation dealt
mostly with the idea expressed in the subject line, under the rubric
of knowledge federation.    (03)

Cheers
Jack    (04)