Re: [ontolog-forum] Fact Guru, Controlled NLs, and OOR

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Doug Skuce <drskuce@xxxxxxxxx>, John Talbot <johntalbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:22:14 -0500
Chris and Ron,    (01)

CP
> Is your point that "professional terminologists" avoid homonyms
> in their 'controlled vocabularies' to help to ensure a one-many
> relationship - and avoid many-many relationships?    (02)

The explicit goal of a terminologist is to develop a controlled
vocabulary for a subject that is clear and unambiguous for the
experts on that subject.    (03)

As Ed mentioned, ISO TC-37 is devoted to terminologies and controlled
vocabularies.  Those terminologies reflect the consensus of the experts,
and they are periodically revised and updated whenever any ambiguities
or inaccuracies are found.    (04)

A logician might find flaws in the statement of some definitions,
but the experts in any field know what terms they need to express
their knowledge.  Logicians are not domain experts, and they should
defer to the experts for the choice of terms.    (05)

JFS
>> ... many well written textbooks and web sites developed
>> by domain experts (e.g.,_The Mammals of Canada_  and the web site
>> for the Canadian Wildlife Service) are sufficiently accurate that
>> anyone who is as smart as a fifth grader can use a tool like FG.    (06)

RW
> One good thing about popular reality shows is that we now understand
> how few people actually fit into that category.    (07)

That's true.  If you browse through the majority of OWL ontologies
on the WWW, you'll notice that they don't use any features beyond
what Skuce's daughter used to describe Canadian animals.    (08)