[ontolog-forum] Fw: Presentism etc

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "sean barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 19:44:58 -0000
 In my mathematics degree, dimension simply was the number of elements of a
tuple. The dimensionality of a vector space is the same as the number of
basis vectors needed to get to any point in the space. For example, in 3D
space, one might use a basis (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1) and if these
correspond to the unit vectors in the x, y and z directions the any point
(a,b,c) corresponds to the vector sum a.(1,0,0) + b.(0,1,0) + c.(0,0,1).
Note that a set of basis vectors must be linearly independent, that is, for
a set of vectors V1,...,VN, there does not exist a set of constants
c1,...,ci-1,c1+1,...cn such that Vi = c1.V1 + c2.V2 +... + ci-1.Vi-1 +
ci+1.Vi+1 +...cnVn; All very dull and mathematical.    (01)

 Among the odd consequences of this definion is that I have a couple of
5-dimensional objects in my pockets. When I use a finger to point, it takes
three dimensions to locate my hand and another two to define the direction
in which I'm pointing. Or 6-D if you want to model the time when the
pointing is measured. The extrusion of it through time might make it into a
gallery of modern art, though I don't know whether it should make it into an
ontology.    (02)

I suspect that calling an ontology "4D" is one of those language games where
a family resemblance is noted to 3D and other not-quite-similar things.
Thomas Aquinas, commenting I think on Avicenna, describes a column of
marching men, each of which sees the person in front and behind, but God,
sitting on the mountain sees the whole column - this was an analogy for
eternity. Perhaps rather than 3D+1 or 4D we could use terms like "on the
road" and "up the mountain" to describe the differing ontologies.    (03)

Sean Barker
Bristol, UK