Re: [ontolog-forum] 3D+1 (was presentism...was blah blah blah)

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:27:02 -0000
John,    (01)

I am sure other people will go into the details, but I think your
description below does not follow the standard uses. It seems to be more
like plain 3D than 3D + 1 - recall Ian asked for 4D, 3D and 3D +1 to be
disambiguated.    (02)

3D/4D are different approaches to time or change - see
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time/.     (03)

AFAIK 3D + 1 is a restricted version of a kind of 4D view, where the basic
objects are (from a 4D perspective) time slices.
The time dimension is then added using a time index (rather than mereology
as in pure 4D).
This structure has a nice mapping to some ways of using time indexed logic.
Whether anyone actually uses natural language that way - well, it seems
unlikely.    (04)

Regards,
Chris    (05)

We