Re: [ontolog-forum] Presentism (was Re: Ontology of Rough Sets)

To: "'Christopher Menzel'" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum]'" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:38:36 -0000

Chris,

I think something was missed here, so just to be clear.

(Strict) presentism – only present objects exist.

3D (according to Markosian) – “According to The 4D View, temporally extended objects have temporal parts, temporal extension is perfectly analogous to spatial extension, and time is one of four dimensions that are on a par, at least with respect to the manner in which objects are spread out in space-time. On The 3D View, however, temporally extended objects do not have temporal parts, temporal extension is very different from spatial extension, and time is unique among the four dimensions of the world, at least with respect to the manner in which objects are spread out in space-time.”

What I do not see in this 3D view is any distinction between points in time based upon a privileged now that marches through time – so it seems neutral wrt Series A and B.

Your comment  said “It seems pretty clear to me that non-presentist 3D'ism is the "commonsense" view, at least, when it comes to the past — Socrates "exists in the past" and we unproblematically refer to him.”

But this sounds like a Series A comment, where there is a past (and present and future). However 3D doesn’t imply Series A, though it might be congenial in some respects.

Anyway, the point I wanted to confirm it that there seems to be space for a weak presentist (or if you don’t like that phrase, call it ‘Series A’) position that (as I said in my mail) “would allow past and future objects to exist, but exist in different ways.” (It is not worth arguing about terms but I am reasonably sure I have read or heard this called presentist – which makes some sense as it acknowledge the present.) This 3D weak presentist/ series A position may be the "commonsense" view you talk about.

It also then follows that there is a Series B (I would like to say eternalist) 3D position, where we have a time index but no real past, present or future.

BTW the oddity I find with the Markosian description is this – “By contrast, on The 3D View, objects are to be thought of as three-dimensional things that are not made up of different temporal parts. On this view, an object at a time — Descartes in 1625, for example — is the same thing as the whole object — Descartes. Thus, according to The 3D View, the relation between Descartes in 1625 and Descartes in 1635 is the relation of identity: each one is just the same thing as Descartes.”

As a term, 3D or three-dimensional things seems to imply spatial dimensions, but ‘Descartes in 1625’ and ‘Descartes in 1635’ are identical, and he had a wider girth in 1635 (or was in a different part of the house/country), then spatially he does not seem to be identical – his spatial characteristics (his 3D characteristics?) are then clearly not identical. But Markosian says “on The 3D View, objects are to be thought of as three-dimensional things”. How can we think of them ‘three-dimensional things’ and also identical at different times? What sense does three-dimensional have here? Does it just mean capable of having spatial dimensions?

I would have thought something like “on The 3D View, objects are to be thought of as having a three-dimensional spatial extent with no temporal extent that can be different at different times” would be less confusing.

Regards,

Chris