Re: [ontolog-forum] Categorical Views of a Universe

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:01:21 -0500
On 27/01/2011 8:23 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> Hi Pat C, and Doug F,
>
> I agree with both Pat C and Doug F on your views - Doug focuses on the
> description of the class, which I view as the Type structure of a system,
> while Pat C focuses on the interactions and complexity actually encountered
> in a static Type structured application.  Both of your are correct in your
> assessments, though still not quite complete in the conclusion.
>
> Re the Reuse of "Type Standard"s, the "Reusable Software" argument dates
> from the invention of software by Turing.  It works to some extent, which
> turns out to be limited in practice.
>
> Ontologies will likely follow a similar path - copying ontocomponents and
> reusing them leads to further problems encountered when the components are
> individually instantiated, and then reused in an UNANTICIPATED application
> NOT KNOWN AT TIME 0.  The problems you didn't forsee, and that your
> component designers hadn't anticipated by the specific use you made of them,
> will be encountered.    (01)

This is not all that different from traditional software development. It
requires a testing phase to verify that the new configuration of
ontologies works as planned.    (02)

> It is an excellent argument; IMHO, I'm in favor of keeping reuse of
> ontologies as a practical goal in some ontocomponents that turn out to be
> successfully reused a few times, but it still doesn't solve the ultimate
> problem of building a System entirely from specifications to meet
> requirements in every case and every situation conceivable encounterable.

The design has to focus on reusability since if one person can not use
another person's ontology in combination with ontologies that the
original ontologists did not consider, then they just become works of
academic interest.
As an application developer, I have to be able to take ontologies from
many sources and weave them into a functional description of my
organization's universe which will be different from most others.
> Approaching the limit of that refinement process, there are more and more
> new components to choose from.  But then the time it takes to negotiate
> which one to choose will drive A's and B's negotiations.
>
> It is possible to automate capture of ontology specifications, requirements,
> and designs on a component basis, but not possible to build new, valid ones
> entirely from old ones in most practical cases.  What is missing in the
> formula is the knowledge still remaining to be abstracted, IMHO.
>
> Is it possible to place a requirement on any reusable ontocomponent that
> it's design and implementation meet and exceed any application required of
> it?  If so, then ontocomponent reuse is justified, otherwise maybe not.
>
> -Rich
>
> Sincerely,
> Rich Cooper
> EnglishLogicKernel.com
> Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com
> 9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

I can't imagine how I would test and certify the correct operation of an
application that determined its own view of the universe at run-time.
Debugging a failed transaction would be a nightmare.
My view is that the metadata and the ontologist's description of the
ontology's features and incompatibilities will have to reviewed in the
context of the application's goals to select the correct mixture of
ontologies.