Re: [ontolog-forum] Categorical Views of a Universe

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:09:25 -0800

Hi John,

You wrote:

A KB that includes an ontology plus a DB of facts is effectively a more specialized theory.  That is true of either a 4D or a 3+1 D approach.  But since the same ontology might be used with a wide variety of different DBs, it would be useful to keep them distinct in practice.

Mostly, I agree, and that KB ontology you named is the one I consider to be the one true ontology of a process.  All the interconnections of a process are based on the ontological types known for the entire duration of execution for a process like that.

The exact drawing line between the KB and DB is not all that clear, and depends on the observer as a projection of the one true ontology.  For example, I can write SQL events that update some data when other data changes, perhaps to reflect the change in data, perhaps the change in time, or more symbolic representations of problem domain objects.

For most programs with small tasks, one process is enough.  Bu for systems requiring some degree of complexity in behavior, multiple processes must also be run, some with the entire one true ontology, and others with only parts of it, all intercommunicating in preordained sequences and predications within the messages.

Is that also compatible with your view?  If so, the issue is only in how to organize the message definitions to fit the needs of each end of every communication.  Understanding each message is a function of mapping it against other knowledge extensions gleaned by experience from the one true ontology's parts.

And if the issue is communication, must the communication translators be complicated ontologically?  Or should they just run the inputs to the outputs without any other processing.

If the comm drivers are more complicated, then, they must have access to the one true ontology (OTO) so they can map from one part of it (the input message) to the other part (output message buffers).

But this approach incorporates numerous processes, each of which has to be able to accept changing versions of the OTO as a system is built, and the OTO emerges from the knowledge the engineers and their clients develop over the life of the design phase.

That would mean that all ontological engineering would have to be done from requirements initially, possibly extended with each stage of refinement, and finally brought into OTO state when the system finally launches.

JMHO,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper